In lecture I did three reactions that are going to be similar to the kind of thing I’ll ask you to do on the Final Exam day. Like what will happen on the Final, I’ll give you:
- a luminosity appropriate to a real accelerator
- a formula for some particle physics reaction and its cross section in picobarns (pb)
- the Feynman Diagram corresponding the the production
I’ll then ask you to calculate and draw:
- the Feynman Diagram corresponding to the complete final state, including any decays of W’s (or Z’s…you’ll see)
- the number of events in a fake year in which there are seconds
- how this final state would look in the cartoon detector
To help you, I’ve made three short movies that go through the three reactions that I did in lecture on the tablet. To do them, I made use of the calculation that I ask you to do in the homework that converts picobarns to square centimeters of .
The links to an on-line presentation of these movies are here:
It’s also in the Facebook group.